Friday, June 3, 2011

LSVT BIG training

Well, I have finally met a program I believe is helpful and actually designed by knowledgeable and qualified professionals to help Parkinson's patients. My Neurologist sent me to the BIG program which in the clinic I attend combines both Physical and Occupational therapy 2 hours a day, 4 days a week, for 4 weeks to teach you how to move.

Parkinsons, according to a friend I met in my online support group, is an imposter. That is accurate so far as I am concerned. I don't give it a capital I for a reason. It's a liar and a thief, making you feel like you cannot do at all what you could do at least better than you do now. You then loose the ability to do what you would normally do in increments as you surrender to the pain and disability you feel. It's true, it hurts, and it's true you are unsteady, and it's true that you feel tired and don't sleep well. But fighting it can mean triumphing over it. You may not get what you had before but you need not give the bully your whole lunch just because he takes a bite of the sandwich.

No comments: